Indianapolis Culture Trail Brings Beauty to Downtown

Rebecca Abaddi, Senior Editor
May 16, 2013
Filed under Article, Features

Unlike most bike trails, the Indianapolis Cultural Trail has one drastic difference. The “normal” bike trail offers people a way to escape a city and appreciate nature, but the Indianapolis Culture Trail offers the exact opposite. This trail allows people to travel within the city, rather than outside... Read More »

Inspirational Speaker Sarah Panzau to Visit HSHS on March 20

Rebecca Abaddi, features editor
March 1, 2013
Filed under News

On Wednesday, Mar. 20 speaker, Sarah Panzau, will speak to HSHS juniors. Panzau was an All-Amercican volleyball student-athlete until she got into a drunk-driving accident. She now uses her scars to help tell the story of her decisions. Parents in Partnership helped bring Panzau to HSHS. “A lot... Read More »

Fishers Town Council Presidency Will Rotate Every Year Until 2016

Rebecca Abaddi, features editor
March 1, 2013
Filed under News

Fishers will becomes a city with an elected mayor in 2016, but until then the Fishers Town Council must dramatically change the way it is run. A council, which has elected only three presidents in the last 30 years, now will rotate new people into the presidential and vice presidential positions at the... Read More »

Students Will Travel the World in 2012 Summer as Part of IU Organization

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
May 7, 2012
Filed under News

This summer, Indiana high school students will travel around the world as part of the Indiana University Honors Program in Foreign Languages (IUHPFL). HSHS sophomore Brenna Armstrong and junior Ashlynn Rotta are traveling to Mérida, Mexico to study Spanish. Junior Beth Lindemann and... Read More »

Behind the Scenes of Prom 2012

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
May 7, 2012
Filed under Features

Saturday, April 14, HSHS students opened the doors of the JW Marriott and walked into the bustling city of New York, otherwise known as the 2012 prom. From 8:00 pm to 12:00 am, high school students had the time of their lives. “I thought that [prom] was amazing. Being my first prom, I thought the... Read More »

Indiana Introduces Smoking Ban

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
April 9, 2012
Filed under News

The Indiana Assembly passed a statewide smoking ban Friday, March 16, prohibiting smoking in most public spaces and workplaces. The ban exempts bars and casinos and is now on its way to Indiana governor Mitch Daniels to be passed as law. The ban has already split citizens into those who approve the ban... Read More »

4-H Club Raises Money for Henryville

Rebecca Abaddi
April 9, 2012
Filed under Features

On Saturday, March 17, the Jolly Rogers 4-H Club traveled to Ripley County to aid tornado-stricken towns with donations and to help citizens clean up fields. The club specifically targeted the towns of Osgood and Thornton. About 25 students traveled down to Ripley County with donations, including students... Read More »

Fishers Town vs City Debate Goes to Court

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
February 27, 2012
Filed under News

The town council and Fall Creek Township Board announced on Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2010 a referendum asking voters if they want Fishers to become a modified second-class city. A modified second-class city would merge Fishers and Fall Creek Township into a single government. With a population of 80,000, Fishers... Read More »

Indiana Representatives Not Running for Re-Election

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
February 27, 2012
Filed under News

More than 20 Indiana state representatives will not seek re-election this year. Some are retiring due to the heated the Republican Party and the Democratic Party atmosphere in the Indiana Statehouse. Others are retiring because the redistricting made re-election tough. Redistricting is when legislators... Read More »

Senior Spotlight: Hayden Janney

Senior Spotlight: Hayden Janney

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
February 2, 2012
Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

Senior Hayden Janney has been playing football for 13 years and wrestling for three. And when asked to name his favorite sport, he did not hesitate. “I prefer football because I have played football my entire life it has always been my favorite sport and I am good at it too, so football’s my favorite,”... Read More »

HSHS Teachers Compete in Biggest Loser

HSHS Teachers Compete in Biggest Loser

Rebecca Abaddi, staff wrier
February 2, 2012
Filed under Features

Some of HSHS very own teachers have entered “Biggest Loser”, the HSHS faculty version, that is. This is the second year the program has run, each year beginning the first day back from winter break and ending the Thursday before spring break. As of now, 38 of the HSHS faculty participate in the program... Read More »

Greece Economy Continues to Fall

Greece Economy Continues to Fall

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
February 2, 2012
Filed under News

After Greece joined the European Union, public spending and public sector wages nearly doubled in the past decade, and Greece is currently more than €340 billion in debt. In a country of 11 million people, that is €31,000 per person in debt. “A lot of [the financial crisis] has to do with the... Read More »

Fishers Town Hall Introduces Public Art Gallery

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
January 27, 2012
Filed under News

On Thursday, Jan. 12 the Fishers Art Gallery in Town Hall opened its doors to the public. The Fishers Arts Council and Parks and Recreation director Barry Russell collaborated to bring more art to the community. After the idea was approved by the Fishers Town Council on Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, the town... Read More »

Mike Young Wins Annual American Legion Oratorical Contest

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
January 27, 2012
Filed under News

Senior Mike Young won first place in the district level of the annual American Legion Oratorical Contest on Saturday, Jan. 6 at the Carmel American Legion Post. “This contest could be a milestone in a student’s life. The overall national contest winner can earn up to an $18,000 scholarship. Those... Read More »

Fishers Welcomes Sky Zone

Fishers Welcomes Sky Zone

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
January 23, 2012
Filed under Features

An indoor trampoline park offering dodgeball courts, basketball courts and a foam pit, Skyzone appeals most to high schoolers in Hamilton County. The person responsible for this 25,000-square-foot facility filled with trampolines, offering not only recreational jumping, but also fitness classes, is manager... Read More »

Staff Rant

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
January 20, 2012
Filed under Staff Rant

This staff writer has a hard time keeping up with her New Year resolutions. Resolutions... I have decided that anyone who follows through on their resolutions up to the very end not only has a great work ethic but must be an amazingly driven and somewhat stubborn person.... Read More »

Daniels to Unveil Right to Work Legislation

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
December 19, 2011
Filed under News

Gov. Mitch Daniels will unveil his right to work legislative agenda in a speech on Dec. 16 to the Downtown Kiwanis club. Daniels said that Indiana could see an economic increase from the ‘right-to-work’ proposal, but did not say if he supported it or not. “When I was at the summer study committee... Read More »

HSHS Welcomes New Deans

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
December 19, 2011
Filed under Features

Two new faces have appeared inside the walls of HSHS, and they are not students. Deans Laura Pickell and Tarek Zawahri have been appointed to help and guide students as more enter the school doors. With the increase in student numbers and the freshman campus, two deans were hired. “[Pickell] and... Read More »

G.I. Jane

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
October 14, 2011
Filed under Editorials, Opinion

Women have been barred from the most dangerous combat roles in the U.S. armed forces on acocunt of their gender for decades. since australia revoked their similar ban, should america follow suit? Rules and regulations have always been set to prevent women from participating... Read More »

Rachel Muehlhausen: “Hall Cop”

Rachel Muehlhausen: “Hall Cop”

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
October 14, 2011
Filed under Features

Senior rachel muehlhausen has to ride a segway throughout the school due to the lack of cartilage in her knee from arthritis that she developed at the age of 14. Ever since the wheels first touched the floors of HSHS, the news and rumors spread like wildfire. Everyone knows... Read More »

Comcast Shifts Work From Fishers to Indianapolis

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
October 14, 2011
Filed under News

Comcast announced it is shifting work out of Fishers in a month and one day as a result of merging offices in Michigan. Seventy employees will be transferred to either Sterling Heights, Mich. or the Comcast offices on 65th street in Indianapolis. As of now, the Comcast offices of 65th street have a capacity... Read More »

Bennett Proposes Online Graduation Requirement

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
September 29, 2011
Filed under News

Tony Bennett, Indiana’s superintendent of public instruction, has proposed that students should be required to take one online course before graduating. Gene Maeroff, author of the book, “A Classroom of One: How Online Learning is Changing our Schools and Colleges”, is also in favor of the idea. “I... Read More »

Need More Time?

Need More Time?

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
September 28, 2011
Filed under Opinion

The deadline for dropping hard classes should be pushed back so students are not overloaded. When I requested a schedule change after the deadline, I was expecting screaming counselors and angry, red -faced teachers. Instead, the process was surprisingly easy. I, probably... Read More »

A Student-Produced Movie is Coming to a Theater Near You

A Student-Produced Movie is  Coming to a Theater Near You

Rebecca Abaddi, staff writer
September 28, 2011
Filed under Features

When one thinks of a movie set, there are vivid images of people by the dozens running around, lights flashing and expensive equipment moving. But in the case of HSHS senior Dan Resler, who is co writer and co director of the upcoming movie” Ralph’s Garden” there is a total of eight people. It... Read More »

Out With the Old, In With the New

Rebecca Abaddi, Staff Writer
September 13, 2011
Filed under A&E

Kindles are making school cheaper and more convenient as the world adapts to the digital world. Kindles are taking over the world, not really, but almost.  The age of technology is generating things from the iPhone to the iPad and Amazon’s Kindle. The Kindle has features... Read More »

HSHS Student Ian Boyd Provides Voice for Youth in New Fishers Council

Rebecca Abaddi, Staff Writer
September 1, 2011
Filed under News

The Fishers Town Council is well-known, but there is now a rising, similar independent organization most do not know, the Fishers Youth Council, which runs entirely by students. The council began in October of 2010 with a total of seven members. Founder and president senior Ian Boyd came up with the... Read More »